Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehman-Parast dismissed the US allegations as a prefabricated scenario which is totally unfounded.
“Such worn-out approaches which are based on the old hostile policies of the American-Zionist axis are a humorous act and part of the special scenarios staged and pursued by the enemies of Islam and the region to sow discord (among Muslims),” Mehman-Parast said.
The spokesman, who condemned all terrorist attacks, further said, “Those who have worked out such prefabricated scenarios are after no goal but fomenting strife (among Muslims) and helping the Zionist regime to come out of isolation.”
“The Islamic Republic of Iran is a ruling system based on Islamic values and ethics and has always warned of the danger of the enemies of the region.
“Such redundant scenarios are staged by the American-Zionist axis under such conditions that the US policies both inside and outside the region have proved seriously inefficient and faced massive domestic and global protests.”
To conclude his remarks, the Iranian foreign ministry spokesman underlined that the relations between the Islamic Republic of Iran and Saudi Arab are based on mutual respect and such unreal and unfounded allegations would leave no impact on the world public opinion.
FBI and DEA agents alleged on Tuesday that they have disrupted a plot to commit a “significant terrorist act in the United States” tied to Iran, federal officials told ABC News today.
The US officials claimed that the plot included the assassination of the Saudi Arabian ambassador to the United States, Adel Al-Jubeir, with a bomb and subsequent bomb attacks on the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Washington, D.C. Bombings of the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Buenos Aires, Argentina, were also discussed, according to the US officials.
US Attorney General Eric Holder claimed in an announcement today that the plan was “conceived, sponsored and was directed from Iran” by a faction of the government and called it a “flagrant” violation of US and international law.
Senior Obama administration officials said the US currently does not have any information indicating that either Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei or President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad necessarily knew about the assassination plot and said the US will pursue a path of response that would not include the possibility of an armed conflict with Iran.
Shortly after Holder publicly announced the foiled plot, the US Treasury announced it was initiating sanctions against five people allegedly connected to the plot.
An Iranian representative in Washington, D.C., told ABC News the US government’s story was “fake”.
The stunning allegations come against a backdrop of longstanding tensions between Iran and the United States and Saudi Arabia. In the last year, Saudi Arabia has attempted to build an anti-Iran alliance to push back against Iran’s growing influence in the region. Saudi Arabia has started experiencing a fierce Shiite uprising since late last week and has indirectly blamed Iran for unrests in the al-Qatif region in its eastern regions. The Saudi Shiite leaders and community have dismissed the Saudi officials’ allegations, saying that they have been incited only by Riyadh’s oppressions and discriminatory behaviors.